"- First of all, we`re shown a fresco depicting the Ronde des Heures.
- It’s like this town is built on an upside-down forest.
- I heard the fascinating story of a brand of precision watches that won more than 1,500 awards!
- We went past factories where thousands of men and women worked and, apparently, before making watches, even the men made lace in this region!
- We learned that, for nearly 300 years, clock-makers have been inventing all sorts of extra features for watches, such as calculation functions and alarms, making them ever more precise and ever smaller – and more beautiful too!"
Prestigious names in the watchmaking industry have given Le Locle a prominent place on the world stage. Together with its neighbour, La Chaux-de-Fonds, the town has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2009 because of the way watchmaking has shaped its urban development. Must see: the Town Hall and the Watchmaking Museum at Château des Monts.
Good to know
- Our brochure, "Le Locle on Foot", is a guide to discovering the town centre of Le Locle and its main sights in 40 minutes. You can obtain it from our tourism offices.
- Another brochure, "Le Locle – Watchmaking and Urban Development", suggests a themed route through the town, divided into 20 sections.
- Also: refer to our "City tours" section for guided tours.
- Visit of the City Hall and Area "Temps et Urbanisme"
DownloadCity map Le Locle | PDF, 645 kB
Le Locle on Foot | PDF, 8.00 MB
Le Locle – Watchmaking and Urban Development | PDF, 2.55 MB
Tourisme neuchâtelois - Montagnes
2302 La Chaux-de-Fonds
T. +41 (0)32 889 68 95